I'm going to go ahead and throw out an apology for the lack of posting. I'm on a critical care rotation and Jake is doing cardiology. They're both very demanding. I leave the house around 6:30am and I usually don't get home til about 10pm. Jake's schedule is very similar. There isn't much cooking going on these days. Look for a return to life at the end of this month when I get a break.

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Have I really never posted my Chili recipe?


Jake did a venison chili recipe earlier. I didn't read it but I haven't posted anything in forever so I hope my chili recipe is different enough to make this worth it. I typically do a beef chili but I substituted chicken this time per Anita's request.

What goes in it? Really anything you want to put in it. And I make a lot. It tends to go fast. Here we go.
couple pounds of meat (beef, chicken, venison...whatever)
1 large or 2 medium onions
1 green and red pepper and maybe a yellow one too if you're feeling it
other options: jalapeno/habanero, poblano, cubanelle, or banana pepper. Really just any peppers. I'm limited by how spicy I can get depending on who I'm feeding.
a couple of tomatoes (I always put fresh tomatoes in anything I put canned tomatoes in)
a lot of garlic
1 can of diced tomatoes
2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
I like 3 cans of beans. You can sub red beans or pinto beans for one.
1 can of corn
And now the spice:
at least a tablespoon of chili powder
equal amount of ground cumin
2 tsp white pepper
2 tsp ground coriander
some granulated garlic if you think you didn't put enough garlic in
some onion powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
salt

Dice up chicken or shred your ground beef. Season with salt, pepper, and a little chili powder and cumin. Brown the meat.
Dice up all the veggies. Fry the onions in olive oil til softened. Add the bell peppers and cook til soft. Add the fresh tomatoes, meat, and any other hot peppers. Cook til heated and then add all the spices. Cook for about 1 minute.
Add the canned tomatoes and corn with juices. Go ahead and turn up the heat. Add the beans. Add your liquid. About 3 cups should do it. You can use water. I like beer. Darker, hoppy beers work well, but not anything as dark as a stout. That would be too bitter. Bass works well. I don't really like the hoppy beers, but wheat beers do tend to do well in a chili or stew. Whatever your choice, add the liquid and get that heat up. You can also add some hot sauce at this point.
Once it starts to boil turn it down and let it cook for a while on a low heat. Check the seasoning. Enjoy.
I said enjoy.
Do it.

1 comment:

  1. Clark, I will make this for the first football game when my house is full of men glued to our 52" flat screen. I am an awesome wife. Thanks for the help.

    ReplyDelete