I'm going to go ahead and throw out an apology for the lack of posting. I'm on a critical care rotation and Jake is doing cardiology. They're both very demanding. I leave the house around 6:30am and I usually don't get home til about 10pm. Jake's schedule is very similar. There isn't much cooking going on these days. Look for a return to life at the end of this month when I get a break.

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Chocolate Ice Cream (JG)

Yup. We have not done this in a long time. Rotation became very busy. And then Clark and I quit the kitchen. I'm trying to get back. New knife. New recipes. All that good stuff. So I don't think I'm going to post every recipe, but then again we have been reusing some of the old ones. Hence less posting.

History:
Ice cream is fun. Ice cream is good. I have never made it. I've wanted to make it for some time... again with the lack of cooking. I thought home made ice cream would be good for starting back to school. A nice way to relax.

What you need:
11 egg yolks
2 cups heavy cream
2 cups whole milk
226 grams of sugar
pinch of salt
180sh grams of 60% dark chocolate
Strainer
Ice bath
Ice cream maker

Heat half the sugar, milk, cream, and salt on the stove until maybe a slight simmer, but steam is rising. Cover and sit for about 5 minutes. Beat the egg yolks with the remaining sugar until pale yellowish. Temper the warm milk solution into the eggs. Continue to mix the milk into the eggs until about 1/3 of the liquid is in the egg mixture. Combine everything and heat on low-medium.... mixing continuously. Melt the chocolate on a double boil. Heat the solution slowly until when you can coat the back of a wooden spoon and run a finger through it is stays. Bad description? Sorry. Take off the heat, mix in the chocolate, and then strain into a bowl in the water bath to start to chill. Chill in the water bath for about 1 hour, then put it in the refrigerator for about 12 hours. Use the ice cream maker and then freeze.

Enjoy.

Pre ice cream maker



In ice cream maker



Notice the awesome color change!

No comments:

Post a Comment